Featured Photographer of the Month – Sarah Boccolucci Photography
Featured Photographer of the Month
1. Tell us a little about yourself in just 10 words!
I am a mom, wife, photographer, doula and very sentimental.
2. As a birth photographer how did you decide to specialize in this niche market?
I started as a birth doula and found myself always taking pictures at the births I attended. With a little motivation from my husband I started to charge for that service. I didn’t even know birth photography was thing back then. Since then I have branched out to maternity and newborn and the occasional wedding or family session.
3. What do you love most about being a photographer?
I love knowing that I captured a once in a life time moment for that family. I also love showing women that there is beauty at every birth (even the ones that don’t go according to plan).
4. What is in your camera bag right now?
Canon 5D Miii, Tamron 24-70 2.8, Canon 50 mm 1.4, tons of camera cards, four batteries, battery charger, business cards, usually a candy bar, ipad if I am going to a shoot, my old Canon t2i (just in case), square reader for credit card payments.
5. What is the best way you’ve found to promote your business?
Word of mouth and making connections with other professionals.
6. Are you a self taught photographer or did you go to school for photography?
I learned the basics in high school with Sister Janet. I went to a Catholic high school and remember developing film in the bathroom of the old convent. I took some additional college classes but would say I am mostly self-taught, or taught by other photographers.
7. What was your most memorable photo shoot and why?
The most memorable shoot was my first session for the organization Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep. Because of the nature of the shoot I can’t share any of the images. I received the call to photograph twins that had passed away at 27 weeks gestation. I wasn’t sure if I would be strong enough but I made it through the session and know that those might be the most important family photographs I have ever taken. It was so humbling to have that responsibility. I encourage other photographers to consider offering their services to these families in need.
8. With 2013 right around the corner what is the biggest goal you have set for yourself in the new year to continue building your business?
I want to keep educating families about what birth photography is all about and why hiring a professional is a great investment. Hopefully, that will also increase my bookings.
9. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
I really have no idea! I imagine that I will still be loving what I am doing, and hopefully doing a lot more of it. My son has shown a lot of interest in photography and I would like to make it
our “thing” together.
10. What have you chosen for the theme of our December photo contest?!
Anticipation – because I remember that feeling as a child of going to bed on Christmas Eve. Now I feel a different type of anticipation- waiting for my children to experience that same excitement. STAY TUNED! Our November Photo Contest starts on Sunday!!